Delicious drinks to warm you up
When it gets freezing, hot alcoholic drinks are the best remedy! We’ve tested 9 easy warming drinks recipes, from mulled wine to amaretto cocktails to eggnog. Winter holidays will become a little bit cozier with a hot and delicious drink in your hand.
1. Hot Gold
Try this easy and delicious recipe for Hot Gold, with amaretto almond liqueur, orange juice and cinnamon.
Hot Gold Cocktail Recipe
- 3 ounces amaretto almond liqueur
- 6 ounces warm orange juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
Time: 10 min
- Pour orange juice into a red wine glass and add amaretto. Garnish with the stick of cinnamon as a stirrer and serve immediately.
2. Peppery Ginger Cider
This warm cocktail is spiced up with bourbon and ginger liqueur. Cracked black pepper highlights the ginger’s subtle burn.
Peppery Ginger Cider Hot Cocktail Recipe
- 4 ounces apple cider
- 2 ounces bourbon
- 1 ounce ginger liqueur, such as Domaine de Canton
- Lemon juice to taste
- 2 Maraschino cherries (Luxardo)
- Cracked black pepper
Time: 15 min
- Bring cider combined with bourbon to a simmer in small saucepan.
- Stir in ginger liqueur and add a couple of drops of lemon juice.
- Put cherries in a heatproof glass or mug and pour in cider combination.
- Sprinkle with pepper and serve immediately.
3. Orchard Boulevardier
A slightly sweeter variation of hot apple cider based cocktail.
Orchard Boulevardier Hot Cocktail Recipe
- 4 ounces apple cider
- 2 ounces rye whiskey
- 1 ounce Campari
- 1 ounce sweet vermouth
- 1 orange twist for garnish
Time: 15 min
- Bring apple cider to a simmer in a medium saucepan.
- Add rye whiskey, Campari, and vermouth, stir until hot.
- Pour the mixture into a heatproof mug or glass, garnish with orange twist and serve immediately.
4. Mulled Wine
Spiced mulled wine is a winter favorite – hot, flavorful, and always so comforting!
Mulled Wine Recipe
- 1 bottle (750 ml) of dry red wine
- 1 orange, sliced into rounds
- 1/4 cup brandy (optional)
- 1/4 cup honey or sugar
- 8 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 star anise
Cooking time: 40 min
- Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, and let the wine simmer for at least 15 minutes or up to 1.5 hours.
- Strain, and serve hot with your desired garnishes.
- Optional garnishes: citrus slices (orange, lemon and/or lime), extra cinnamon sticks, extra star anise
5. Over the Weather
This hot rum-based drink combines warming winter spices like ginger and cinnamon with herby rosemary to create uniquely flavored toddy.
Over the Weather Hot Cocktail Recipe
- 2 ounces dark rum
- 2 ounces boiling water
- 1 ounce ginger syrup
- 1 stalk rosemary
- 2 orange peels
- 2 dash cinnamon bitters
- star anise
Cooking time: 10 min
- Add ingredients to a mixing glass, stir gently.
- Pour the mix into a glass, garnish with rosemary and star anise. Serve while hot.
6. Hot Frenchman
Of course, we can’t go without a French recipe variation of mulled wine.
Hot Frenchman Cocktail Recipe
- 4 ounces red wine
- 3/4 ounces orange liqueur such as Grand Marnier
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 ounces orange juice
- 1/4 ounces lemon juice
- 1 twist orange peel
- 1 twist lemon peel
Time: 10 min
- Heat well in a heat-resistant glass or cup. Stir, garnish with twists of lemon and orange peel, and serve.
7. Dreamy Winter Delight
This simple recipe will remind you of ice cream served hot with a distinctive almond aftertaste thanks to amaretto.
Dreamy Winter Delight Hot Cocktail Recipe
- 2 ounces Irish cream
- 6 ounces hot chocolate
- 3 dashes amaretto almond liqueur
Cooking time: 15 min
- Pour Irish cream into a heatproof cup with hot chocolate.
- Add amaretto, to taste.
- Stir and serve.
8. Riesling Hot Toddy
Warm white wine is delicious when spiced up with honey, lemon, and cardamom.
Riesling Hot Toddy Cocktail Recipe
- 1 bottle (750 ml) of Riesling
- 4 cardamom pods
- 2 teaspoons brandy
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lemon, halved
- 4 strips lemon zest
Time: 50 min
- Toast cardamom pods in a dry skillet over high heat, until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Gently crush with a mortar and pestle.
- In a medium saucepan combine Riesling, brandy, honey, cardamom pods, and bay leaves. Squeeze lemon halves over the mixture and add rinds to the pot.
- Bring to a gentle simmer then reduce heat to lowest setting and steep for 45 minutes.
- Strain and divide between 4 cups. Garnish with lemon zest.
Eggnog, the hot, creamy classic drink originated in medieval England is an essential part of Christmas mood.
- 6 ounces Eggs, separated
- 3/4 cups Sugar
- 32 ounces Whole milk
- 16 ounces Heavy cream
- 8 ounces Bourbon
- 4 ounces Spiced rum
- 1 grated nutmeg
Time: 30 min
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and half a cup of sugar until they turn light in color.
- Stir in the milk, heavy cream, bourbon and rum.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites with the remaining quarter-cup of sugar until they form soft peaks.
- Pour about a third of the egg whites into the yolk mixture.
- Serve in punch or tea cups garnished with freshly grated nutmeg.